Cancer is the biggest threat to the current generation and it is the second most common cause of death in the world. It results from abnormalities in normal mechanisms governing cell behaviour in our body. Colon Cancer is the third most commonly diagnosed cancer and the second leading cause of cancer death in U.S.A but Colorectal cancer affects men and women equally, and people of all races and nationalities.
Sambar is a very famous South Indian dish that is eaten with rice, idlis and dosas. There are many types of Sambar exist in India preparation may vary from region to region. Indian spices that go into the making of sambar are coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, turmeric rhizomes, black pepper, curry leaves, cumin seeds, and asafoetida. In India, it believed the intake of turmeric has great health benefits but we don’t scientific research for that. We believed what our ancestors said, now the world is seeing ancient India believes as science. There are scientific reports stating the beneficial effects of Indian spices and condiments in cancer prevention. Colon cancer is the third most commonly diagnosed cancer in the U.S.A. whereas is India the incidence is the lowest.
Manipal University has done research on Sambar and Colon Cancer here is the summary of the research:
“Consumption of sambar significantly reduced aberrant crypt foci in DMH-induced colon cancer modelSambar treatment prevented DMH-induced oxidative changes in the colonic tissue, indicating its antioxidant roleSambar comprises a variety of spices that exhibited both pro- and antioxidant properties in different tissues, leading to its overall beneficial effect in this model.”
There are many health benefits of eating sambar:
• Dal is a great source of protein
• Drumsticks, pumpkin, brinjal and tomatoes and many vegetables can be added to sambar which is fibre-rich vegetables
• Great dishes weight loss and to increase immunity and Tamarind is known for its antioxidant nature.
• There is a myth that sambar forms acidity but the truth is sambar is easy to digest
• Increase the quantity of vegetables and decrease the amount of salt, sambar is the best dish for weight loss